Thursday 11 August 2016

It's a Romy love fest!

Hey y'all!

Things with Romy are going from strength to strength. I don’t want to be one of those owners who thinks the sun shines out their horses arse. I know Romy isn’t perfect for everyone. But for me, right now, he is. I’ve been through many horses and have battled with my decisions to let them go. But it just has to be right for you. We invest so much time and energy into these huge, beautiful beasts that it has to be right for us. And if it’s not, it’s ok to admit to yourself that your horse might be more perfect for someone else.

 
My horse time is my meditation time. It’s time for my solitude and it’s time that I allow myself to love who I am and where I am at that very moment. So it’s so important to me that the little time I give myself every evening with my horse is worth it all.


But first...lemme take a selfie

 
I really do believe in my horse. I see a great future for him and dare I say it, he’s allowing me to believe in myself too. I honestly have always thought of myself as a blow in to dressage....something I just stumbled upon without being competent enough and kind of tried to fit in along the way. I still do. And sure, I’m at the bottom of the scale but I have dreams and hopes now and I am so dedicated to getting there. At this stage I guess it’s time I give a shout out to Heidi Mercken and RLZ Dressage for finding Romy for me. They’re based in a (very beautiful) yard in south Holland, on the Belgian border, and can be found on Facebook here.

 
I’m really starting to gel with ma poneh now. And so we’re spending less time in our sessions together trying to figure each other out and more time perfecting what’s going on. His canter is just a dream to ride. Sure, he’s a bit of a squealer and has the odd kick out when I ask for canter from walk but I kind of like his cheekiness (although he can keep that for the training session....please don’t bring it to our tests Romy!). His trot is really opening up to what it was when I tried him in Holland. We need to work on his balance, which he loses sometimes but I need to remind myself he is only 6. We also need to work on his medium walk, which he reads to be ‘piaffe’....chill out on that for a couple of years mister! But he is SO trainable and tries everything I ask of him. And is the cuddliest bear in the stable. Not everyone would like being licked from head to toe by their horse. But I do....tongues ahoy!

 
We’re doing two elementary tests this Saturday so I’m looking forward to reading what the judges say. Back in the snaffle now, any bitting experts out there I’d be happy to take advice on some bits to try on him because he’s still a little uncomfy in the mouth!

 
I’ll report back after the test!


Love,
V x

No comments:

Post a Comment